Wednesday, April 16, 2014

NICE- TOUGH OR TOUGH- NICE?

One of the world's best-selling authors Dale Carnegie in his legendary book" HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE" advocated to praise first before criticizing.
In their bestselling book "ONE MINUTE MANAGER," the renowned Management Guru Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson exhorted to adopt strict approach first and then be nice.
Which method should we adopt? Whether one approach is good enough for all situations or should we vary our methods according to situations?
I shall tell a real story to solve the dilemma.
 Once my boss became annoyed with me. I telephoned him and informed that his instructions got complied. He immediately forgot his annoyance. I felt that he was annoyed with my particular behavior only. But he continued to shower his love and good wishes on me as a person. 
My boss was nice most of the times; harsh sometimes. He was nice to us as a person but was tough on an undesirable behavior. As soon as the unwanted behavior was corrected, he forgot all his annoyance. He has been an exceptional performer and at present is a General Manager in our Bank.

I also believe the above approach works most of the times. However, you may adopt strict approach first when there is too much indiscipline. You may harm your adversaries or undisciplined person when it becomes inevitable. But most of the times take the nice tough approach. Be harsh with the undesirable behavior and respect the person and always be nice to him.



No comments:

Post a Comment