Saturday, September 21, 2013

ONE MINUTE MANAGER REPEATS ITSELF

"One Minute Manager" is a bestselling fable book by Management Guru Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson. The great authors described three simple techniques of effective management. "One-minute Praising" is one of them. Learned authors mentioned in the book that when you start giving "One Minute Praising" and forget to deliver it on a particular occasion, your colleagues will remind you about it.

I knew till now that one may become addicted to smoking, drinking, opium, brown sugar, etc.,  But the following incident made me realize that people may become addicted to sincere praising also and if not given they may confront me to ask for it.


            In my other article," Change The Environment, Make Dinosaurs Extinct Species." I informed that on the interval of 2-3 months, I call staff meetings and give token gifts to the best performing staff members with many words of sincere praise. But due to some pre-occupations, I forgot to call staff meetings. One of my best colleagues Rajesh Jee confronted me and complained in a sweet voice," Sir, You have forgotten to call the staff meeting to deliver your sincere praising to the best performing staff member. So on the same evening, I called the meeting.

Many learned colleagues express frustration about management books by calling them mere theoretical. But I bet, "They are useful beyond doubt if we put the theories into practice."

No comments:

Post a Comment