Monday, March 24, 2014

WHY HAVE I BEEN MASTER OF 'LEAVE ALONE REBUKE APPROACH'?

Once I invited a friend for dinner, but I didn't discuss the menu with my better half, she, therefore, decided the list herself and cooked to the best of her ability.
To our dismay, my friend didn't like the dinner.

 I was tempted to fight with her, but I had read about the 'Leave alone rebuke' approach. So I kept silent. When she asked whether my friend liked the dinner, I just smiled. Later on, I explained to her that I should have told her about my friend's eating habits.

You might be wondering what this damn 'Leave alone rebuke'  approach is?

 You give your colleague a task and leave him alone without specifying the details, then on one beautiful day, you awake and find that task is not done according to your unspecified expectations, and you start blaming the helpless fellow for the mess.
I have been adopting 'Leave alone rebuke' approach at my office, at my house, and at all places, because I have been a lazy man. I just used to pass the buck after allotting tasks to my colleagues.
I didn't want to discuss the details, shunned to monitor the progress and guide my juniors regularly, since all these required efforts and time.
 So I gave them a task, left them alone to do in their ways, then I started yelling at the end for not doing the job according to my expectations. The results were often miserable.

Now I have bidden Good Bye to the laziness. I get myself involved from the beginning to the end according to the principles of Situational Leadership developed by Mr. Ken Blanchard & Paul Hersey.  I explained the theory in my another article, ”NEVER DELEGATE TO THE JOKER." The results are far better now. I, my colleagues and my family members are enjoying a sense of accomplishment and are happier than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment